Hublot has unveiled its first commercially available central tourbillon watch, the MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire. This limited edition of 50 watches is based on the brand's Only Watch entry from this year, but with a few key differences.
Instead of a flower-shaped sapphire case fitted with petals adorned with 444 rainbow-colored gemstones, the new MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire has its flower petals crafted from clear sapphire. The case is also constructed from clear sapphire, and the tourbillon is mounted directly in the center of the display without an upper bridge to provide it with a floating appearance.
The hands are peripherally mounted below the tourbillon and stick out from the perimeter to indicate the time against the small track of hour markers that sit between the central tourbillon and the clear sapphire petals that form the case and bezel of the watch. Additionally, the heavily domed sapphire crystal that sits above the center tourbillon has been given eyes and a mouth to make the entire watch resemble the face of Murakami's famous smiling cartoon flower character.
The watch is powered by the same in-house Cal. HUB9015 manual-wind movement that was used in the Only Watch piece. This movement has a power reserve of approximately 150 hours, and it is wound by hand using a special electronic winding stylus that can be charged via USB.
The strap fitted to the new MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire is constructed from translucent rubber with a titanium folding clasp that is adorned with a decorative sapphire insert. The strap connects to the case in a similar fashion to the Only Watch piece, with a small pair of screws that are secured from the underside surface of the watch.
The Hublot MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire will be available for purchase for $316,000 USD, making it one of the absolute most expensive Hublot models currently available.
Key Differences Between the Hublot MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire and the Only Watch Piece:
- Case petals: The Only Watch piece has petals adorned with 444 rainbow-colored gemstones, while the new model has clear sapphire petals.
- Bezel: The Only Watch piece has a more ornate bezel with additional sapphire gemstones, while the new model has a simpler bezel with only clear sapphire.
- Hands: The Only Watch piece has rainbow-colored hands, while the new model has black hands.
- Strap: The Only Watch piece has a translucent rubber strap with a rainbow-colored titanium folding clasp, while the new model has a translucent rubber strap with a titanium folding clasp adorned with a decorative sapphire insert.
- Price: The Only Watch piece was sold at auction for CHF 500,000, while the new model will be available for purchase for $316,000 USD.
Overall, the Hublot MP-15 Takashi Murakami Tourbillon Sapphire is a stunning and unique watch that is sure to turn heads. It is a perfect example of Hublot's commitment to innovation and its willingness to push the boundaries of watchmaking.