Swatch Group is doubling down on its successful MoonSwatch concept with the introduction of five new Blancpain X Swatch Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms watches. The watches are inspired by the iconic Blancpain Fifty Fathoms dive watch, but are made with bioceramic, a sustainable material that is both lightweight and durable.
The watches are priced at $400 each and will be available in select Swatch stores on September 9, 2023. They will come in five variations, each dedicated to a different ocean: Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, and Antarctic Ocean.
Each watch features the hallmarks of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms design, including a domed bezel, a highly legible dial, and sword-shaped hands. However, the bioceramic material gives the watches a more casual and playful feel.
The watches are powered by the Swatch Sistem 51, a mechanical movement with automatic winding. The movement is decorated with a print of a nudibranch, a colorful marine gastropod, that is specific to each ocean.
Swatch has not shied away from branding the watches, with the dial prominently displaying the words "Blancpain Fifty Fathoms x Swatch." However, the strap is only branded with the word "Swatch," a departure from the MoonSwatch, which prominently displayed the Omega logo.
The Blancpain X Swatch Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms watches are a more affordable way to own a piece of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms legacy. They are also a unique and stylish way to show your love of the ocean.
Here are some additional details about the watches:
- The case is made of bioceramic, a material that is made from renewable resources and is resistant to scratches and fading.
- The dial is made of a mineral crystal that is scratch-resistant.
- The bezel is made of a bio-sourced material treated with an anti-scratch coating.
- The strap is made of a colorful NATO-style strap with a buckle that says "Fifty Fathoms."
- The watches are powered by the Swatch Sistem 51, a mechanical movement with automatic winding.
- The movement is decorated with a print of a nudibranch that is specific to each ocean.
The Blancpain X Swatch Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms watches are a limited-edition collection, so they are sure to be popular. If you are interested in getting one, I recommend being prepared to camp out in front of your local Swatch store on September 9th.